Thursday, November 23, 2006

$8 USD: The Price of my Freedom

I am going to preface this post with a quote from the Lonely Planet: Middle East guide from what is has to say about being a pedestrian in Cairo, which will help to explain what follows.

"Playing Chicken In Cairo:
It may sound silly, but the greatest challenge most travelers face when traveling through Egypt is crossing the street in Cairo. Roads are always frantically busy and road rules are something that the average Cairene has heard of, but only in jokes. Our advice is to position yourself so that one or more locals form a buffer between you and oncoming traffic, and then cross when they cross - they usually don’t mind being human shields! Basically, it’s a game of chicken. Never, ever hesitate once you’ve stepped off the sidewalk; cross as if you own the road. And do it fast."
If only I had read this advice before I stepped out of the hotel, I may have been able to avoid being kidnaped by an "artist" and I wouldn’t have been forced to pay my own ransom for my freedom. At least, at about $8 USD, my freedom came pretty cheap.

I arrived in Cairo after a blissfully short flight from Dubai on Emirates, which has become my new favorite airline largely based on their advanced and varied entertainment options. The cab ride from CAI to the hotel was unlike any cab ride I had ever taken. Traffic here is unbelievable and if you have questions about Vancouver’s aging taxi fleet, you would be down right concerned at the state of Cairo’s fleet of eastern block tin machines. I only wish that my cameras hadn’t been locked away in the trunk.

After arriving at the hotel and spending some time with my liaison I decided to brave the streets again to pay a visit to the near by Egyptian Museum. It is a great place in an old building with a poorly displayed yet unbelievable collection. I stopped at the Tanis display and combed through the artifacts looking for any signs of R2, C3PO or the Well of Souls. I came up short, alas, and I cursed myself for not having packed Raiders in my DVD wallet.

I was able to shake many offers of a guide. I was quite polite about it, though one guide was very persistent. I patiently waited for him to stop describing what purpose a sarcophagus served to take a breath before I told him that: "You know I think I am fine on my own, thanks." My would be guide cast a smug look my way and wandered off.

It was great to just wander about the collection, looking at what caught my eye and passing what didn’t. It was nice to be out of the hotel, but It was really an opportunity to have a walk and spend some time thinking of things unrelated to exposure, busy lobbies or early morning wake up calls. Through the stands of security guards I made my way back to the street where I ran into the aforementioned challenges with traffic....

2 Comments:

Blogger Gilman said...

Asps, very dangerous. You go first.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But we, your loyal readers, want the rest of the story!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home