Tuesday, September 26, 2006

View from the Commute


I knew it as soon as I saw him pull a u turn in my rearview mirror, so as soon as he hit his lights I pulled over and waited for him to catch up.

“Do you know why I stopped you?”

“I was going a little fast.”

“You were going 65 in a 50 zone, is this your current address?”

While I sat there waiting for the Trooper to run me through his computer I was remarkably calm and resigned. Perhaps it was NPR, perhaps it was because I knew that I had only had myself to blame. I actually enjoyed a little chuckle at my own expense. I was, however, a little perplexed that I managed to muscle the Kia that far over the limit.

“Today is a warning sir. Traffic is going pick up later. Be safe and have a nice stay.” So for my crimes I was sentenced to a gracious and polite warning. With my needle pegged firmly at fifty I wondered if airport security or customs agents couldn’t learn something from the Vermont State Police. Cheers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can admit it Rob, he let you off because you cried, right?

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still one up on you... I plan to get a warning in every State. Washington and Oregon down... a few dozen to go. Nothing like 90 in a 65 zone!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home